President Rodrigo Duterte warns of expanding a deployment ban to more countries in the Middle East if he receives another report of Filipino workers being abused. The President said this before leaving for New Delhi, where he will attend the ASEAN-India Summit.
(Recently last Week)
On Thursday, Duterte said he was thinking of banning workers from going to Kuwait because the Philippines had recently “lost four women” there, referring to domestic helpers he said had been abused and committed suicide.
He said he was aware of many cases of sexual abuse endured by Filipino women and wanted to raise it with the Kuwait government and “state the truth and just tell them that it’s not acceptable anymore”.
More than 2.3 million Filipinos are documented as working abroad. Collectively they remit more than $2 billion of their income back to the Philippines every month, money that fuels robust consumer spending in one of the world’s fastest-growing economies.
Duterte on Thursday said he did not want to quarrel with Kuwait and respected its leaders but said they needed to do something to stop the abuse.
“Many of the women commit suicide. They claim abuse, sexually and all, and they endure,” he said.
If you have any Complaint, Question or Suggestion please contact us at: [email protected]
Video credits to The Young Observer YouTube channel